Athletic Spinal Injuries in Santa Monica, CA
Athletes put their bodies under extra stress that can result in injuries from sudden impact, repetitive use, or overtraining. When it comes to spine health, there are several injuries common among athletes that should be met with specialized orthopedic care to provide back pain relief and ease discomfort without diminishing athletic performance. Marina Spine Center offers minimally-invasive back surgery as well as non-surgical care that can help you recover from athletic spine injuries in Los Angeles. Our spine doctors have worked with athletes at all levels, including players in the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL, so we can provide you with exceptional care to get you back in the game you love. Our team will have you get from spine surgery to the game in no time.
Common Spine Injuries in Athletes
Many spine injuries seen in athletes are caused by the stress of overtraining and improper body mechanics. When the body is under stress from these practices, the structures of the spine may sustain degenerative damage or injuries, which can include the following conditions:
- “Stingers” – A “stinger” or “burner” is a pinched nerve injury, which will cause a painful burning sensation through one of the arms. These injuries are common in contact sports, and they are not spinal cord injuries, though they do affect the nerves of the spine.
- Spondylolysis – Twisting and hyperextension can cause spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis, which are conditions related to slippage in the vertebrae, which can constrict space in the spinal column and lead to spinal instability.
- Disc Injuries – Older athletes are more susceptible to disc injuries that take place when the spinal discs hemorrhage or slip out of place. When this type of damage occurs, there is pressure on the spinal nerves that may cause a wide range of symptoms, including pain, numbness in the extremities, and muscle weakness.
- Muscle Strains and Ligament Tears – While muscle strains and ligament injuries are relatively minor injuries, they can cause long-term issues if they are not properly treated. Strains, tears, and other soft tissue injuries should be followed with plenty of rest and physical therapy for a more complete recovery to reduce the chances of future injuries.
Treatment at Marina Spine Center
At Marina Spine Center, athletic spine injuries are treated with a personalized approach, which may include personal training, minimally-invasive surgery, and rehabilitation. Our physicians are highly skilled in sports medicine, and we have had a long track record of success in treating the everyday athlete to Olympic Gold Medal winners. To learn more about our spine center, give us a call at (310) 448-7890.
What Sets Us Apart?
- State of the Art Facility
- World Renowned Surgeons
- Over 30 Years of Experience
- Utilizing the Latest Technology
- Experts at Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Founding Member of the North American Spine Society