Lumbar Spine Surgery In Santa Monica, CA
Lower back pain is one of the most common reasons for American adults to seek medical care. If you suffer from chronic pain or discomfort that hinders your mobility or quality of life, lumbar spine surgery in Los Angeles may be the right solution for you. Marina Spine Center offers a wide variety of spinal surgery options to address lower back pain so you can enjoy the activities you love without hindrance or discomfort.
Indications for Lumbar Spinal Fusion
Lumbar spine fusion is one of two major types of lumbar spine surgery. This procedure can be performed via minimally-invasive techniques to reduce post-operative pain and recovery time. Lumbar spine fusion may be suggested to achieve pain relief from a number of lower back conditions that have caused pain or mobility problems for six months or more:
- Degenerative disc disease causes deterioration of the discs that provide cushioning to the spine. As these discs dry out and shrink with age, they can cause mechanical back pain that limits your ability to move, sit, or stand comfortably.
- Spinal stenosis causes a narrowing of the spinal canal through which the spinal cord travels. If spinal stenosis has progressed to cause a mechanical instability in the structure of the spine, lumbar spine fusion may be recommended.
- Some types of spinal fractures may be best addressed via lumbar spine fusion surgery. Isthmic spondylolisthesis occurs when one vertebra slips forward of the bone below it due to a fracture in the bone connecting the two. This causes a structural instability in the spine. Spine fusion surgery can be used to ensure the slipped vertebra stays in its proper position.
- Scoliosis is a condition that causes the spine to curve unnaturally sideways; this curvature may be slight or severe. More extreme curves may be treated via a combination of spine fusion surgery and other techniques.
What Happens During Lumbar Decompression Surgery
Spine decompression surgery is the second major type of lumbar spine surgery. During spine decompression, one of two general techniques will be used to relieve pressure on a spinal nerve, which is a common cause of back pain.
- A microdiscectomy or microdecompression removes a portion of a herniated or slipped disc. This type of lumbar decompression surgery is a reliable solution for chronic leg pain (sciatica) caused by a herniated disc in the lower spine.
- A laminectomy or open decompression removes a small portion of bone from the spine to increase the size of the spinal canal. This treatment addresses changes in the facet joints caused by spinal stenosis.
If you’re ready to explore your options for lumbar spinal surgery in Los Angeles, call Marina Spine Center today at (310)448-7890 .
What Sets Us Apart?
- State of the Art Facility
- World Renowned Surgeons
- Over 30 Years of Experience
- Utilizing the Latest Technology
- Experts at Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Founding Member of the North American Spine Society